During the summer, Grey Box announced a new partnership with Tequila Works as RiME’s new publisher. It wasn’t long after the initial announcement of Grey Box’s role that we announced the supporting platforms. Along with the main consoles (PS4 and Xbox One) and PC version, RiME will also be available on the Nintendo Switch. This article serves to provide our players with the "411" on the Nintendo Switch version of RiME. Below is a list of FAQ’s pertaining to the details of the Nintendo Switch and RiME.
Is there an exact release date for the Switch version of RiME?
Why was the Switch version delayed?
- Development on the Switch version of RiME began after development on the other versions. We did not want to release the Switch version before it was fully ready, but we also did not want to unnecessarily delay the other versions. Our goal is to ensure that the Switch version is as high of quality as possible while still being as close to the initial release as possible.
How much will the game cost on the Switch?
- The digital Switch version of RiME will cost $29.99 / €34.99 / £29.99, the same as other platforms.
- The physical Switch version of RiME will launch with a suggested retail price of $39.99 / €44.99 / £39.99, but will include a code to download the RiME Sound Track.
Why does the physical Switch version have a higher price than the other versions?
- We set prices for our products based on the costs of development and costs of manufacturing for each specific platform.
- To add value to the physical Switch version, we will be including a printed code for a download of the complete, beautiful soundtrack by David García (a sample of which you can find here). You will be able to download the music via Bandcamp in one of the multiple high-quality formats. For more information, please see this blog post.
Will the Switch digital version cost less?
- The Switch digital version will cost the same as all other platforms. However, the RiME Sound Track by David García will not be included and would need to be purchased separately. More information on how to obtain the stand alone Sound Track will be provided at a later date.
Do I get anything different for buying the game on Switch vs. other consoles?
- All physical copies will include a printed code for a download of the complete, beautiful soundtrack by David García (a sample of which you can find here). You will be able to download the music via Bandcamp in one of the multiple high-quality formats. The soundtrack is planned on being sold separately for $10 in the US (and equivalent prices elsewhere), and so the value you’re going to get out of this will be the same as somebody who purchased a different version of RiME, and then bought the soundtrack. The experience on the Switch is the same as on other systems, though with the added freedom to take the adventure anywhere using the Switch's portable functionality. Tequila Works and Tantalus, who is working on the porting process for the Switch, are investigating the use of Switch- specific features, but we cannot confirm anything at the moment.
What kind of bonus will be in the pre-order?
- For those who pre-order the physical game, a map of the RiME island. Now it will not be available with all retailers, so players will need to check with their local retailer for availability. Digital pre-order incentives will be revealed at a later time.
I already pre-ordered my Switch version. Will I be charged extra for it?
- Initial retail pre-orders were set up before pricing information had been fully determined. Grey Box is committed to making sure that consumers get a fair offer, and will honor any pre-orders leading up to this announcement at the price they were pre-ordered at. Please note, players will need to confirm with the specific retailer RiME was pre-ordered at.
This game was the reason I bought the Switch. Why did you wait until after the Switch launched to announce this?
- Once we were able to confirm the information, we worked to announce this as quickly as possible.
When will preorders be available in my country?
- While the pre-orders for the PS4 and Xbox One versions are currently available in most territories, those for the Switch should begin very shortly. Players will need to check with their local retailers for additional details.
Will there be DLC/microtransactions?
- No, there are no plans for DLC or microtransactions of any kind in RiME. Everything you need is in the game itself.
If there is additional information you’d like to know about RiME that’s not addressed in the FAQ, feel free to reach out to our Support team who will do their best to address your questions. They can be reached at 1-844-473-9269 7 days a week. You can also submit a ticket through the web portal at anytime by clicking here.